As the fourth most popular destination in the world, many tourists flock to Dubai for its white sand beaches, wind-swept shores, and collection of destination must-haves and one-of-a-kind experiences. Many non-Muslim residents have called this sun-drenched City of Gold home for many years, celebrating in the city’s many epicurean delights.
But while cognac, whisky, vodka, and others have stolen the spotlight in this gastronomic hub, Dubai is emerging as a home for oenophiles.
Dubai’s wine scene is still in its fledgling state, but that’s where it’s appeal lies. It’s an exciting new wine market that represents some of the finest vintages and vineyards in any gastronomical hub. And with many unique formats to experience wine in Dubai, wine connoisseurs are spoiled for choice.
For non-muslims, the only way to experience wine and any other spirited beverage is by being over the age of 21 and have possession of a Dubai liquor license. But these are easy to acquire and cheap; simply stop into any one of Dubai’s licensed alcohol operators or apply online.
Though it must be noted that there is zero tolerance for drink driving in Dubai. And public intoxication is a major no.
Wine bars in Dubai are few and far in between, but steadily growing in number. Oeno Wine Bar, Cave Dubai, and Oscar’s Vine Society are just three examples of the numerous wine bars making a name for themselves. Each features an array of grapes to choose from, including the likes of rosé wine and champagne.
Many of these wine bars are reminiscent of their original counterparts:
- Cave Dubai, inspired by the traditional Parisian Bistro is replete with rich leather seating, dim lighting, and vintage-inspired wooden tables.
- Oeno, that which pertains to wine, is appropriately named. It’s a trendy and accessible wine bar that features an impressive array of grapes, catering to its extensive range of clientele.
- Oscar’s Vine Society represents the finest Old World favorites and New World varieties.
Wine and Dine
To truly indulge in Dubai’s impressive selection of wines and gastronomical fares, a wine bar simply won’t do. Instead, venture into one of Dubai’s many exquisite restaurants that offers the best of both worlds.
- The Agency is a restaurant that can be thoroughly enjoyed by all. Not only does it serve up an international cuisine, it also has a wide range of wines, over 400 varieties, perfect for pairing. With beautiful views of the Arabian Gulf, it’s easy to see what The Agency is the local port of call for many of the city’s expatriates.
- Toro Toro maybe known for its Pan Latin dining experience, but wine connoisseurs will find something in this restaurant’s wide range of wines to delight their palate with. Encompassing two floors overlooking the waters of Dubai Marina, guests will be easily enthralled with its beautiful vista.
- Despite its name, Seafire is celebrated as one of Dubai’s finest steakhouse. A carnivore’s delight, Seafire Steakhouse and Bar does two things exceptionally well. Serve the finest cuts of all-natural, grain fed Australian beef and the perfect wine pairing.
Dubai’s emerging wine market means fans of the grape varietal aren’t restricted to wine bars and restaurants to indulge their discerning palate. Wine tasting events have been cropping up all over the city as an alternative for wine connoisseurs looking for ways to develop their appreciation of wine.
It doesn’t matter if you’re simply an enthusiastic novice or a seasoned aficionado of rare vintages, wine tours offer up opportunities to develop your appreciation and knowledge of wine.
Le Clos in Dubai Airport hosts an excellent wine tasting. As does Fairmont Dubai and Gaucho. For those looking to host their own private wine tasting event, The Sommelier Company and The Tasting Class offer fun and interactive wine tastings for lovers of wine.
Dubai’s growing popularity makes it an international destination for just about any tourist or holidaymaker. For wine aficionados, Dubai may not rank as a destination to taste your way through. But that’s where they’d be wrong.
It’s a young city that features delectable food, gorgeous vistas, and of course top-notch vino. And isn’t that what defines an exceptional wine vacation?